[Gdal-dev] OGR: how to get length of line-features

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 12 17:49:24 EDT 2007

J.F wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I'm trying to get length of line-features from a TAb file using ogr,but
>
> OGRGeometry does not support the method get_Length().
>
> How can I get it when  I'm reading ?

JF,

If you are using the C++ API, and you know that a particular
geometry is a linestring or linearring you can just explicitly
cast the OGRGeometry* to OGRLineString and then call get_Length()
on it.

eg.
  if( wkbFlatten(poGeometry->geGeometryType() == wkbLineString )
    printf( "Length = %g\n",
              ((OGRLineString *) poGeometry))->get_Length() );

I see get_Length() is implemented in 1.4 branch, but I'm not sure
how long it has existed in OGR.