[Gdal-dev] Sponsor Survey

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 15 17:15:16 EDT 2007

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>>
>> I have prepared a first draft at:
>>
>>   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SponsorshipSurvey
>>
>> Any suggestions for other points that ought to be raised?  Other changes?
>>

> Looks great.
>
> I was trying to think of other info that could be useful and the only
> thing I could think of was to perhaps include a question relating to
> integration of GDAL/OGR with other open source packages, e.g.
>
> "Do you use GDAL/OGR in combination with other open source applications
> or libraries from the OSGeo stack and if yes which ones. Are there any
> aspects of integration between GDAL/OGR and those applications or
> libraries that you would like to see improved? Which ones?"
>
> I was not able to word the question to be straight to the point, but
> hopefully you get the idea. The goal would be to find out whether there
> are issues with other OSGeo packages (either lib dependencies such as
> PROJ, or apps that use GDAL/OGR such as MapServer) that are a priority
> for them.

Daniel,

Good question!  I have incorporated it without the specific OSGeo aspect,
and added a few examples.

"""
9. Do you use GDAL/OGR in combination with other open source applications
or libraries (eg. MapServer, MapGuide, GRASS) and if yes which ones. Are
there any aspects of integration between GDAL/OGR and those applications
or libraries that you would like to see improved? Which ones?
"""

A question on the MapServer list a couple minutes ago reminded me that
I also wanted to ask about whether folks things we should be investing
a lot of time in performance tuning, so I added:

"""
10. Is improving the performance of GDAL/OGR important to your organization?
(not at all important, somewhat important, very important) Are their particular
code paths you would like to see optimized?
"""

I can already foresee that some respondents will answer "very important" to
everything.  Perhaps next year we will take the approach of asking respondants
to apportion 100 "importance points" amoung the various "how important"
questions to make them really think about priorities.