[Gdal-dev] ng-python build

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Oct 15 17:29:23 EDT 2007

On Oct 15, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

>> - ng-python installs in $prefix.  This ends up being installed
>> where-ever GDAL is installed, in the subdir thereof specified in
>> the python distutils (something like lib/python2.5/site-packages).
>
> I'm confused now -- are they getting installed where GDAL is
> installed? or in site-packages? Anyway, they should get installed
> in site-packages.

by subdir of python specified in distutils, I mean whatever distutils
uses by default but as a subdir of the gdal prefix.  So for the OSX
framework that ends up being:

/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.5/lib/python2.5/site-
packages

>> -- If setuptools is not installed, install in --prefix as before.
>
> This, I think, should put it in site-packages, like the usual
> setup.py install.

Actually, it's the --prefix that's putting it in the GDAL prefix.  If
you want distutils to put it in the default python site-packages
(where the old bindings are installed, and where setuptools installs
it), no prefix is needed.

> By the way -- William, how are you building the Frameworks?

I was using a custom Xcode project, despite the framework option
below I worked out.  I'm hoping to use the framework option in the
future (I should ;) when some kinks are worked out.

> Is there a configure option ( --framework or something) that tells
> make to build them?
>
> Is a Framework build the default on OS-X? Should it be?

Yes, a framework build option was added for v1.4.  It broke for 1.5
due to libtool changes.  I was able to fix that and Frank applied it
to SVN this morning, but there is still a problem linking that to the
ngpython build.  Fixing that may require more fundamental changes in
libtool configuration (if even possible), but it would also simplify
the framework build as a whole.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro