[Gdal-dev] Python next-gen bindings enabled in trunk

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Oct 16 23:40:10 EDT 2007

On Oct 16, 2007, at 9:45 PM, Howard Butler wrote:

> Outstanding issues:
>  - It's not apparent what we want to do for defaults on the 'make
> install' target of ./swig/python based on the discussions on the
> list.  Can someone come up with a concise proposal?

I'm OK with a GDAL-prefix install (with a small adjustment for the
OSX framework if possible - a more explicit path, so that the python
half of the path is ignored [$prefix/lib/python2.5/site-packages] and
something like $prefix/Resources/python2.5 or $prefix/Libraries/
python2.5 is used instead).  Users would then either add that path to
sys.path within python or scripts, or set it in PYTHON_PATH (or
whatever it is) in the shell.

That would make it easier to support multiple versions, of both
python and gdal-python, for application stability.

>  - Because we're using distutils, currently the CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS
> of Python are used, and GDAL's CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS are not injected.
> This needs to be resolved.

Seems to work on OSX.

As for any software that makes use of GDAL, gdal-python should only
need the GDAL headers, and not all the extra headers for dependencies.

OSX encodes lib paths in libraries, so all it needs to directly link
is libgdal.  I understand linux platforms may need the CFLAGS and
link flags.

Nice features of OSX?  Or my own naivete?

>  - Should we require setuptools, or should we attempt to support
> setuptools and distutils?

For simplicity on OSX, I'm for supporting distutils.  Packagers (like
me) and developers may be OK with an extra requirement, but others
who want to go on their own might be put off by that.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people
of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating
the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war