[Gdal-dev] Universal GDAL build on OS-X ??

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Oct 26 23:48:46 EDT 2007

On Oct 26, 2007, at 5:43 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

>> (note that it still has problems with the python build - it links
>> wrong and there is no simple way to fix it).
>
> Darn. I guess I was going to find out that soon enough -- Maybe I
> can help, but maybe not, this stuff is pretty out of my depth.

There are two possibilities to getting this to work.

- if the location can be known to the GDAL makefiles, it can work
with my current framework install extras.  But currently distutils/
setuptools has ultimate control over the final destination - it is
currently $prefix/lib/python[x].[y]/site-packages on OSX (x.y being
the python version), and the GDAL makefile doesn't know that subpath.

- somehow get libtool to generate the gdal library with the correct
install_name.  I can hack libtool to do that, but I don't know if
it's possible in a standard configured libtool.

A 3rd possibility would be to build and install a GDAL framework,
then build gdal python using that, instead of the build-time library
(which for the framework build doesn't have the correct install_name
yet).  But you would need to adjust setup.py for that.

The current framework build is a bit of a hack because libtool
doesn't directly support building frameworks.

I also have a bug report for an odd problem where .o files are not
built next to their sources like they used to be, but instead
libtool .lo files.  This causes a full recompile when installing, and
the programs can't find their .o's when linking:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1878

It may be just my system, since I haven't seen any others say
anything about it, even other Mac users.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect