[Gdal-dev] "upside down" images

Bryan Keith bryan at ideotrope.org
Thu Sep 6 19:23:50 EDT 2007

> On 9/5/07, Joaquim Luis <jluis at ualg.pt> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For those of you struggling with upside down troubles with netCDF and
>> Surfer drivers,
>> an - GUI, Windows - solution is provided by Mirone
>> (w3.ualg.pt/~jluis/mirone).
>> The files can be saved for example in GeoTiff or JP2K.
>>

> Thanks for the tip. That's a good find.
>
> I need to do a lot of batch processing, use other platforms, etc so I
> decided instead to create a script to flip geo rasters (based on
> gdal_merge.py)
>
> The script is available at
> http://perrygeo.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/gis-bin/flip_raster.py
> For more detail, I posted about it here
> http://www.perrygeo.net/wordpress/?p=78
> --
> Matthew T. Perry
> http://www.perrygeo.net

Matthew and Joaquim,

I see the solutions that you've come up to deal with Surfer rasters in
gdal.  I also came up with a workaround where I wrote the j-values in
reverse after doing my processing and before writing the Surfer grid.
However, it seems to me that these "solutions" are just workarounds for a
bug in the Surfer (and netcdf?) drivers.  Wouldn't the real solution be to
succinctly identify the problem and file a bug in Trac?  Or better, I
suppose, would be to supply a patch, but that's certainly beyond what I'm
able to contribute at this point (I haven't even found time to succinctly
identify the problem).  Is there a reason to think that this isn't a bug
in the driver(s)?

Bryan