[Gdal-dev] Fwd: plate carree to latlon projection problem

Kolberg Sjur A Sjur.A.Kolberg at sintef.no
Mon Sep 17 12:39:15 EDT 2007

Jaap,

Have you got your ellipsoids right?

If one of your ellipsoids (commonly the one used with Plate-Carree) is a
sphere, and you ignore that in converting to geographical latlong
(presumably based on WGS84), errors up to nearly 20 km will occur
(latitude dependent). These errors are in the N-S direction, E-W is
usually OK. This effect is beyond projection, latlong/sphere to
latlong/WGS84 gives equally long offsets. Try using cs2cs and specify
ellipsoids for both input and output,

It is only when one of the ellipsoids is a sphere you get these large
errors, otherwise the error is much smaller.

See also Frank Warmerdam's answer on June 7th on gdal-dev:
(Re: [Gdal-dev] Does GDAL handle rotated spheres?)

Best regards,

Sjur K :-)

Sjur Kolberg
SINTEF Energy Research