[Gdal-dev] Problems retrieving z-values

tjansson tommy.jansson at kongsberg.com
Wed Sep 26 10:24:06 EDT 2007

I am writing a library which reads S-57 files (of type *.000) and loads
selected geometies into a custom class structure. The files are read and
content handled using the OGR Simple Features Library for C++.

As far as I have understood the various geometries are divided into two
categories; 2D geometry types with XY-data, and 2.5D geometry XYZ-data.

I am interested in geometries of type 2.5D (i.e with XYZ-data). In my code
there is a function which parses geometry objects using a switch that check
the geometry type (and handles it accordingly). I have read several maps
with success (e.g. downloaded from NOAA), except that the Z-value is always
set to 0 (zero). I've also noticed - when debugging - that the switch never
hits on geometry type "wkbPoint25D" (or any other 2.5D type), which might
explain the Z-value.

Is the code i have written doing something wrong, because I never get a hit
on any 2.5D types, or are the maps I have downloaded the cause (because they
don't contain any 2.5D types)?