[gdal-dev] There is no option to read "underneath" observation layers from L2G MODIS data, right?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Apr 9 18:35:17 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 18:27 -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> > As far as I can understand while scanning the gdal-dev list messages,
> > there is no access to the 2nd (or 3rd) layer of gridded MODIS data (L2G)
> > using GDAL, is that correct?
> >
> > Is there an alternative to the "read_l2g" LDOPE utility?
> >
> > How can I select for instance observations from the same orbit for a
> > MOD09 product?
>
> Nikos,
>
> I think you might need to explain further what you mean by 2nd and
> 3rd layers.  None of your terminology is familiar to me.  Most gridded
> (2D) products in an HDF formatted file should be accessable through GDAL.
>
> Best regards,

MOD09 L2G products store more than one observations in each grid cell.
With OpenEV for instance I see all bands and the Data Quality Layers. I
export with gdalwarp for example (extract/convert/reproject) in
GeoTiff(s) all bands and quality flag layers.

But the pixel values that I see (after importing in GRASS) are the best
observations based on some criteria (observation coverage and other).
How can I "see" the other observations?

(I think I am correct. In a L2G are all swath pixels that correspond to
a grid cell.)

Thank you.