[gdal-dev] RE: ogr2ogr PostgreSQL to shp

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Sat Apr 26 14:22:09 EDT 2008

On Apr 26, 2008, at 7:54 AM, Randy George wrote:
> "C:\Program Files\FWTools2.1.0\bin\ogr2ogr" --debug on -where " fips =
> '08041' " -f "ESRI Shapefile" out.shp PG:"user=user dbname=db
> host=localhost password=pass port=5432" gnis

> ERROR 1: PG:user=user dbname=db host=localhost password=pass port=54
> 32 is neither a file or directory, Geoconcept access failed.
>
> FAILURE:
>
> Unable to open datasource `PG:user=user dbname=db host=localhost
> password=pass port=5432' with the following drivers.

Randy-
   I find that I forget to set permissions on the two special tables
, Geometry_Columns and Spatial_ref_sys and get odd errors as a result
of the particular permutation.

However, Geoconcept access failed sounds specific to something outside
of PostGIS/OGR

Ogrinfo is a good debug step, as FrankW pointed out...
Also a small perl or python script, using the same connection string,
might give some additional info

hth
   -Brian