[gdal-dev] geotiff image problem

Silvia Marchesi silviamarchesi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 10:30:25 EDT 2008

Hi everybody!
I'm a new user of GDAL; in particular I'm working with GDAL in Visual Studio
2005 in order to read Geotiff images; I'm following the GDAL API Tutorial,
but I have some problems.
I'm trying to open the file (a geotiff image); according to the tutorial I
have written the following code:

#include <gdal_priv.h>
int main()
{
   GDALDataset *poDataset;
   GDALAllRegister();
   poDataset=(GDALDataset *)GDALOpen("image.tif", GA_ReadOnly);
   if (poDataset==NULL)
       int a=12;
}

where image.tif is the name of my dataset; when I try to compile the program
I receive a message with a lot of errors like these:
Error    1    error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual
char const * __thiscall GDALMajorObject::GetDescription(void)const "
(?GetDescription at GDALMajorObject@@UBEPBDXZ)    provaopen.obj   Error    2
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall
GDALMajorObject::SetDescription(char const *)"
(?SetDescription at GDALMajorObject@@UAEXPBD at Z)    provaopen.obj   Error
3    error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual char * *
__thiscall GDALMajorObject::GetMetadata(char const *)"
(?GetMetadata at GDALMajorObject@@UAEPAPADPBD at Z)    provaopen.obj

Can somebody help me?

Best regards,
Silvia