[GDAL-Dev]: Adding the new driver dynamically

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Dec 4 07:45:17 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Cherif Oueslati
<oueslati.cherif at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have created anew format and added it to the GDAL tree successfully using
> the procedures indicated in the "GDAL Driver Implementation Tutorial".
>
> I would like to know if there is another solution to add my driver
> dynamically without following these procedures every time that I would like
> to add it in another GDAL project.
>
> Can I create a dll file to avoid the static practice indicated in the
> tutorial?

Cherif,

Yes, you can build your driver as a standalone DLL
as described in :

http://www.gdal.org/classGDALDriverManager.html#77417ede570b33695e5b318fbbdb1968

In this case you do not need to modify gdalallregister.cpp,
but you do need to place the resulting DLL in some
appropriate place.  On Windows it is usually sufficient
to place the DLL in a subdirectory called gdalplugins
under the directory containing the .exe file run.  But
you can also use the GDAL_DRIVER_PATH configuration variable
to control this.

It is imperative that your driver be linkd against an ABI
compatible version of GDAL.

Best regards,