[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.5.0 on Windows (MSYS/MinGW) for GRASS build

marco.pasetti at alice.it marco.pasetti at alice.it
Wed Feb 13 08:50:19 EST 2008

Hi,

it's my first message on the list, so hi all ;-)... I think you don't need (or even don't want) a presentation, so I'll go directly to the issue:
I'm building GRASS windows native binary using MSYS/MinGW; the usual procedure is:

1) build gdal without grass support
2) build grass
3) rebuild gdal with grass support

and this is ok. But the guide I'm followings is about GDAL 1.4.1, and suggests to build it without libtool and then adding a lot of gcc instructions. So here's the problem: I want to build GDAL 1.5.0, but the gcc instructions of 1.4.1 guide don't work (obvioulsy!)... I need to build it using libtool. I read the notes on GDAL web site, but I didn't understand some things:

1) [...] Edit libtool at line 6114 to sed out the MSYS-anchored absolute path [...] or [...]  Edit GNUmakefile on lines 6-12 [...]
just before make command, and after ./configure command?

2) Expat: I have expat installed (built using MSYS), release 2.0.1
[...]  get libexpat.dll and create an import library with [...]
the instruction is not very clear... before or after builfing GDAL?

3) I already have an installed version of GDAL (1.4.1) in my usr/local, but dll is not libgdal-1.dll, it is libgdal.dll, built using the following instructions http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/BuildingFromSource#head-cfa56b4e7278363ab05f9c130014a85f99019f5a
and I also have other gdal files in my /usr/local... I would delete them, but I am not sure of what files I need to delete! Can I build and install gdal 1.5 without taking care of prevoius 1.4.1 build and install?

Many thanks,

Marco