R: [gdal-dev] GDAL & Python

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 26 12:24:12 EST 2008

marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:
> I'm building GDAL right now --with-python option enabled; I thought the
> same as you suggested... but now I'm trying build GDAL without python
> installed, because the last option enables python bindings, and, I
> think, this feature would not require python installed;

I'm confused -- are you trying to build the python bindings or not? Also
there are two versions now the "old" ones and the "next generation"
ones. I know the NG ones are built with distutils, which means that the
build process needs to be able to find your python, but once it does,
python+distutils takes care of everything else.

I can't remember how the old bindings are built, but you definitely need
python installed to build them -- they need the python headers, etc.

You should be able to build python bindings with MingGW with a regular
old Windows Python2.5 -- it doesn't need to be a msys install.

Also, it should be possible to build GDAL without python bindings, then
build the python bindings by hand later (with "setup.py build")

marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:
  NOW I have the following build error:

> python setup.py build
>
> command not found
>
> HAAHAH... what a stupid I am!
> Ok... go, install Python, add c:\blablabla\python to my sys environment
> path variable and redo make command!

I'd think there would be a way to tell configure the path to your python
executable as well.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov