[gdal-dev] Axis Ordering RFC

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 10 20:30:17 EST 2008

Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Although I don't feel the problem deeply in my bones, I'm scared about
> the number of changes it implies. In case if we would like to
> represent the spatial reference with the same axis orientation
> regardless of the underlying coordinate system definition then it
> would be enough to add a new enum eg. AxisOrientation that could be
> EastNorth or NorthEast or SouthEast whatever. And we can cosider X
> orientation as being the 'East' and Y as the 'North' every time at the
> GDAL/OGR interface. The most problematic issue about this is that who
> will be responsible to set this property to the correct value.

Tamas,

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are suggesting.  Are you suggesting
that axis orientation not be part of the coordinate system?  Is there a
reason that your AxisOrientation enumeration is better than specifying the
Axis values in the WKT/OGRSpatialReference and having accessor methods?

I would like to stress that the AXIS keywords are already part of the
OGC WKT coordinate system definition, and that in the OGC model axis
orientation is considered to be part of the coordinate system.