[gdal-dev] Axis Ordering RFC

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 13:35:13 EST 2008

2008/1/11, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>:

> I'm afraid I don't understand what you are suggesting.  Are you suggesting
> that axis orientation not be part of the coordinate system?  Is there a
> reason that your AxisOrientation enumeration is better than specifying the
> Axis values in the WKT/OGRSpatialReference and having accessor methods?

I'm rather asking than suggesting and just trying to understand the
problem. I only use a subset of the SRS-s that don't suffer from this
issue. I guess we're to expose something that's missing right now from
the SpatialReference API. That is possibly how the axes are
represented as XYZ coordinates. I was wondering if it would be enough
to expose one parameter to represent this like 'int
GetAxesDirection()' or 'SetAxesDirection(int)'. The reason is just to
keep it simple.
However it seems we would also want to represent a displayable name
for each axis following the WKT representation, so I've to retract the
statements above.

> I would like to stress that the AXIS keywords are already part of the
> OGC WKT coordinate system definition, and that in the OGC model axis
> orientation is considered to be part of the coordinate system.

Alea iacta est

Best regards,

Tamas