[gdal-dev] Ubuntu, gdal & ecw's >2gb on IA32

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 10:44:02 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 07:33 -0600, Richard Greenwood wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>> > I've got a bit of a problem with ecw's on ubuntu 8.04; gdal can't read
>> > them if they're >2gb in size, but there's no problem with the same setup
>> > on ubuntu 7.10.
>>
>> How exactly does it fail? I just did a gdalinfo on a ~4GB ecw on
>> Ubuntu 8.04 w/ FW Tools 2.0.6 w/o a problem.
> $ gdalinfo testfile_large.ecw
> ERROR 4: `testfile_large.ecw' not recognised as a supported file format.
>
> gdalinfo failed - unable to open 'testfile_large.ecw'.
>
> Strange that it works for you and not me.  I've got this happening on
> two different systems- one a vmware guest, on on bare metal. Not sure
> what's going on.  Are you on a 32 or 64 bit cpu?

Doing gdalinfo on a mounted Samba filesystem on a ~4GB ecw file works,
however, when I copy the same file to the local HD I get:

$ gdalinfo _2006_Aerial_Photography.ecw
ERROR 4: `_2006_Aerial_Photography.ecw' not recognised as a supported
file format.

gdalinfo failed - unable to open '_2006_Aerial_Photography.ecw'.

--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com
www.greenwoodmap.com