[gdal-dev] XY Point extraction from raster

Hyer, Dr. Edward (Post Doc) edward.hyer.ctr at nrlmry.navy.mil
Fri Jun 27 20:34:26 EDT 2008

I have been very pleased with the way I can use 'gdaltransform' to wrap
a long set of operations into a single-line command. I am trying to
extract point data from an HDF file, and with:

gdaltransform -i -t_srs EPSG:4326 HDF_FILE.hdf < points_dd.txt >
points_xy.txt

I can feed it a set of XY geographic locations, and it will spit out
corresponding image coordinates.

Now, how can I actually pull the data, just for those specific
coordinates?

I use PDL in Perl for numerics, but this seems like something I should
be able to do with the command-line utilities.

Thanks for any tips/tricks,

--Edward H.

Dr. Edward J. Hyer
Post-Doctoral Researcher