[gdal-dev] Re: (no subject)

WolfgangZ wollez at gmx.net
Mon Mar 3 12:49:52 EST 2008

Frank Warmerdam schrieb:
> Oliver Eichler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is FWTools 2.1.0 for Windows able to open GeoTiffs larger than 2GB? When
>> using GDALOpen it failes with the "TIFFFetchStripThing:Sanity check on
>> size
>> of "TileOffsets" value failed" error. The file is processed by GDAL /
>> Linux
>> without complains.
>>
>> Do I miss anything obvious?
>
> Oliver,
>
> I tried:
>
> gdal_translate -outsize 30000 10000 utm.tif out.tif
> gdalinfo -mm out.tif
>
> with my currently fwtools tree build which should, I think, closely
> match FWTools 2.1.0.  The utm.tif file has one 8bit band, so the out.tif
> file is a 3GB TIFF file (not BigTIFF).  The translation seemed to work, and
> the gdalinfo ran successfully.
>
> First, could you try the same steps I did, to see if they work for you?  If
> not, then it must be something I have already fixed, and I'll just need to
> issue a new release.  If it works, then there is something more specific
> about your problem than just not reading geotiff files larger than 2GB and
> you will need to narrow it down.
>
> Best regards,

Hi Frank,

I also had a problem with the sanity check but that came by merging a
lot of tiles with gdalmerge. A resulting file (~200GB, Geotiff with LZW
compression) was created but everything I tried on that file failed
(gdalinfo, gdal_translate, ...). Also all viewing applications failed.

I still have the tiles and I should be abel to recreate the error. What
information do you need to track down the error?

Regards
Wolfgang