[gdal-dev] Re: How to read geotiff file using GDAL

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Mar 5 12:09:57 EST 2008

bargi <bhagwat.maimt <at> gmail.com> writes:

>  Thank to u all for replying !!!!
>   Yeah Jukka, is right .... I want to fetch information from geotiff files
> and render that file in our project......
>   I can't do it directly .......... That's why I am looking for the way to
> do it.
>   With your help I am able to read and fetch information.....but I am not
> clear how to use this information to

Hi,

Stupid but working method is to create a copy from your geotiff files, drop out
the geotiff tags and create world file instead.  Is goes like this:

gdal_translate -of GTiff -co profile=baseline -co tfw=yes input.tif output.tif

In your case you would only need the tfw creation part and copying the image
file itself is wasting time and disk space but I do not know about any utility
that would write only the world file for you.  It would be nice to know if such
exists, I might be useful sometimes.

-Jukka-