[gdal-dev] KML 2.2 in SVN Trunk

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Fri Mar 7 16:19:13 EST 2008

Hi Chris,
Nice job on the update. I rebuilt from svn and have tested the kml
driver with several shapefiles sitting around.

I wonder if the -dsco NameField=RegionName switch should be made
mandatory now? If it is not specified the KML driver could return an
error prompting for  -dsco NameField=RegionName or -dsco NameField=NO.

This seems relevant now that you've got the attributes in extended
data tags. The first shapefile I grabbed to test the driver did not
have a field called "Name" and I forgot to specify the correct field
to use with the -dsco switch. The impact of this is when the data was
opened in google earth and each placemark was without name tags the
extended data was unavailable. Essentially a double-click on the
feature in the "Places" view returned nothing, whereas once I
corrected my mistake, used the NameField switch, and re exported
everything worked as expected: Each KML feature had the value from my
field called "Road_Name" beside its icon a double-click  on the
hyperlinked name revealed the extended data in a table within the GE
Balloon popup.

An alternative approach might be to simply have the driver fill the
name tag with something arbitrary like the schemaURL:
<name>OgrFilename</name> (if the NameField switch is not specified)
which would be placed just before <ExtendedData>. That way if a
feature really does not have a name it will still allow the feature
data to be available.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Dane