[gdal-dev] KMZ Support in OGR?

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Sat Mar 29 16:47:37 EDT 2008

Well, all very salient points. I particularly liked the link to Joel
Spolsky's article. Should be required reading for all programmers!

But a couple of comments anyway...

> *) Google's libkml is not yet production ready

Fair enough - I haven't used it. But my hope would be that if Google is
going to be using this in Google Earth then it should get up to speed
pretty darn quickly. Of course, I'm not sure they've said that...

> *) Once the KML 2.2 spec is approved by OGC I expect it to be rather
> stable, so I'm not sure that switching to libkml for an evolving
> standard is really going to buy OGR much.

Another good point. To be honest my interest is more in seeing the few
flaws I've discovered fixed than anything else. If it's easier to fix
the current driver then that's probably the way to go.

> *) It would probably be trivial to add kmz support, but as Brian
> suggested why not just pipe the file to a zip command?

Well, that's fine if you're just trying to lash something together
specifically for KML files on a linux system, but not so great if you're
developing, say, commercial windows software that has to deal with lots
of different formats. As I see it the whole point of an abstraction
layer like GDAL/OGR is that you shouldn't have to care about the
intricacies of particular data formats. So if your users are going to be
trying to load KMZ files (the Google Earth default format) into your
application, it would be much nicer if OGR could just do its job and
read those files without you having to special case things. No?

Sy