[gdal-dev] INST_DATA and 1.5.2

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 19 13:02:10 EDT 2008

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> On Monday 19 May 2008, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I would like to bring everyone's attention to an unfortunate problem in
>> GDAL 1.5.0.  It seems an upgrade in the version of autoconf used to
>> generate the configure script has resulted in the GDAL data files getting
>> installed (by default) in $prefix/share instead of $prefix/share/gdal.
>>
>> I have corrected this now in svn trunk and 1.5 branch.
>>
>>    http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2382
>>
>> Also, I am interested in issuing a 1.5.2 GDAL release this week or early
>> next.  I would like to prepare a release candidate tomorrow.  Is anyone
>> aware of critical fixes that should be done before a 1.5.2 release?
>>
>> Best regards,
>
> Thanks for the update Frank. Will this cause any hickup when we install the
> latest version of trunk? i.e. will paths need to be reset or the like.

Dylan,

I don't think it should cause a problem.

 > Also is
> there a general approach to removing the accidentally placed GDAL support
> files in $prefix/share/ ?

rm /usr/local/share/*.*

might do it as long as there isn't anything else there.

> Also, would these misplaced files have affected any datum shifting or other
> operations that rely on these files?

Possibly, though I suspect that the INST_DATA location is getting built into
GDAL so the files were being searched for in their alternate location.

What you *shouldn't* do is take an existing GDAL build of 1.5.0 or 1.5.1
and move the .csv files into /usr/local/share without rebuilding the software
with the new data location.