[gdal-dev] Using GDAL.Transformer from C#

Reed Copsey, Jr. reedc+gdal at ctech.com
Thu Oct 16 13:47:06 EDT 2008

I'm looking for the best approach to figuring out the specific projected
coordinate of a raster read via the GDAL C# wrappers.
If I open a dataset using Gdal.Open(...) which has projection information,
what is the best way in C# to determine the actual coordinate of a specific
pixel?

For example, I want to determine where, in projected space, the pixel at
[50,25] in image coordinates might lie.

Right now, I'm calculating this by hand using the
dataset.GetGeoTransform(...) array, but this is less simple if the
transformation isn't simple.  I'd ideally like a solution that works with
GCP defined datasets, as well.

It looks like GDAL.Transformer is the way to go here, but the C# wrappers
only seem to work by taking a dataset to project from and to, and then
transforming a coordinate from one to the other.  Is the best approach to
create a dataset in memory with 1 pixel wide spacing, located at the origin,
and use that as from and the loaded dataset as the "to" dataset?  Is there
an easier/simpler/faster approach?

Thank you,
Reed Copsey