[gdal-dev] Installing test databases/servers online for the GDAL project

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 18:36:30 EDT 2008

Frank, Even, Ivan,

Thank you all for your comments,

It great to hear that most of these are available for free, so we
'only' have to deal with setting them up. Yes, a 'gdaltest' VM image
would be helpful, we could easily set up and run all of those
databases locally on each buildbot machine so we wouldn't have to
concern about the security very much.

However when looking into the scripts I have further technical issues
that should also be addressed. Some of the tests use fixed dbnames on
the localhost (like for postgis, mysql and ingres) therefore we cannot
install the databases in separate machines/VM images. Moreover
currently all the windows slaves are hosted on a single machine and we
should use at least separate database names for each of the slaves in
order to avoid the interferece between them.

The ogr_oci tests use the OCI_DSNAME environment variable which is
much better because I can set the environment for each instance
separately. The only drawback of this is that the buildbot dumps the
environment variables of the host machine to the web, so we cannot
store passwords in these variables safely. I'd prefer if the tests
were load the connection strings from external files instead.

With regards to the OGR SDE tests all of the credentials are contained
by the script with a fixed server IP address, therefore I wouldn't
have the chance to set up a proper environment even if I had an SDE
instance locally.

The lack of an available SDE instance is a big problem of some of the
developers. Would it be expensive to purchase a valid license for
GDAL/OsGeo? Do they have a developer like construction for testing
purposes?

Best regards,

Tamas