[gdal-dev] using gcp's without giving coordinates

Klokan Petr Přidal klokan at klokan.cz
Wed Apr 1 08:52:31 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am not familiar with OziExplorer Map files, but I have seen a
project trying to implement what you need, maybe you can reuse it (and
probably improve it and add support of different projections):

http://ozi2geotiff.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ozi2geotiff/trunk/ozi2geotiff.py?view=markup

I guess you would like to have affine transformation georeference from
your GCPs points in your example with gdal_translate.
Then you should either warp your raster with gdalwarp utility or use a
tool like gcps2wld.py to calculate a best fitting World file and keep
raster as it is.

Klokan

P.S.
A standalone application for World file generation then you can use
independently on GDAL is:
http://blog.oldmapsonline.org/2008/06/georeferencing-images-by-control-points.html
or very simple python script doing the calculation as well:
http://code.google.com/p/oldmapsonline/source/browse/trunk/gcps2wld/python-no-dep/gcps2wld.py

http://blog.klokan.cz/
http://www.maptiler.org/
http://www.oldmapsonline.org/