[gdal-dev] Re: [mapserver-users] converting a multi-thousand polygon shapefileinto a shapefile that just contains the exterior vertices

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Apr 30 00:27:57 EDT 2009

Hi,

What you want is the union of all the individual image polygons.  At least it can be made with GIS applications like QGis or OpenJUMP. I don't know of any tool that could do it directly from command line but such can exist, though.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

John Mitchell wrote:

Hi,

I have created a shape file via gdaltindex based a few thousand geotiff's.

I don't need all of the interior grids within this shape file just the
exterior vertices's.

How can I convert this shape file so that it does not have the interior grid
and just the exterior vertices's.

I am displaying this shape file within UMN MapServer and I want to increase
the performance by eliminating the drawing of the interior grids.

Thanks,

John Mitchell

--
John J. Mitchell