[Gdal-dev] GDAL seems unable to translate CIB data set

Ollie Newman oliver.newman at baesystems.com
Thu Aug 6 11:27:24 EDT 2009

I am having a problem accessing some CIB data using GDAL.  The dataset in
question is a 44544 by 56832 pixel image split across 1073 files and is 1m
resolution sat imagery.  The data will open OK in ArcMap so I am reasonably
confident that the data is not corrupted.  Using OpenEV I can open the
dataset but only the first tile and a bit has any data, the rest is blank.

gdal_translate fails wth the following errors

E:\CIB\RPF>gdal_translate -of GTiff NITF_TOC_ENTRY:CIB__1M_2_2:./a.toc
out.tif
Input file size is 44544, 56832
0Warning 1: Lost metadata writing to GeoTIFF ... too large to fit in tag.
Warning 1: Lost metadata writing to GeoTIFF ... too large to fit in tag.
Warning 1: For .\NI425J2\01LGBN2B.I42, assert
'fabs(adfGeoTransform[GEOTRSFRM_TOPLEFT_X] - nwLong) < 1e-10' failed ERROR
1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 0 ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed
at X block offset 0, Y block offset 0 <execution stops>

I am using the latest version of FWTools.  Using an earlier version
execution continued until the 1000 warning limit was hit and then continued
but no output image was created.

Has anyone any suggestions for me - options I might try or whether anyone
has seen this before?

Thanks in advance

Ollie