[gdal-dev] concerning VSIInstallSubFileHandler

Dan Greve grevedan at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:12:33 EST 2009

Greetings,

I am currently accessing datasets which are embedded inside a single file.  Each dataset is a given file offset and length inside of the larger file.

I saw in the latest doxy-docs here that there is a VSIInstallSubFileHandler for doing just that, and look forward to testing it out.  My concern with it, as well as the normal VSIMemFileHandler, is in accessing large files.  I have 2 GB images, embedded within files that are up to 100 GB in size.  Does the VSIMemFileHandler do any sort of paging so that the entire source image is not read into memory?

-- Dan Greve
-- Software Engineer
-- Northrop Grumman Corporation