[gdal-dev] Converting from Lambert (LCC) to latlong/mercator

Brian Murray idlegod at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 19:43:42 EST 2009

I have a map that is in Lambert Conformal Conical, that I am
attempting to convert to something that is more "web friendly". That
is, vertical lines of longitude and straight lines of latitude,
hopefully with equal distance between latitudes. I have attempted to
use gdalwarp, but have had absolutely no luck even getting any
results.

Fortunately, the map has a bunch of data stamped on it that will
likely help in the conversion process.

Beside "standard parallels", it has 49 20  and 54 40, in degrees
minutes. I would presume 49 20 is for the south half of the map, and
54 40 is for the north half.

The scale is 1:500 000.

The topographic data is NAD27, although I don't know if that is pertinent.

The images are large; at 11696x4208.

I've prodded the IRC channel, but noone seems to be around, but this
list seems active.

I just don't understand what all the arguments really are, or mean, so
I can't even muddle my way through. I am apparently pretty bad at
finding any real examples of converting from LCC. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.