[gdal-dev] Converting from Lambert (LCC) to latlong/mercator

Brian Murray idlegod at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 23:07:49 EST 2009

>From the gdal_translate line, the images are identical, but with added
information to the tif, in a geotif style.

Once I warp it, the image is squished (as I would expect), but the
width is the same.

I have also tried embedding all of the geotiff data within the
intermediate image, but for some reason, I just cannot seem to set the
pixel size. If I create a wld or a tfw file, it just seems to ignore
it.

gdal_translate -of gtiff -CO TFW=YES -a_ullr -115 56 -105 54 -a_srs
"+proj=lcc +lat_0=56 +lon_0=-115 +lat_2=49.33 +lat_1=54.66 +x_0=0
+y_0=0 +datum=NAD27" n.tif nn.tif

I am wondering if perhaps its because photoshop added a bunch of
incorrect meta data:

Metadata:
  AREA_OR_POINT=Area
  TIFFTAG_SOFTWARE=Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
  TIFFTAG_DATETIME=2009:02:21 16:15:49
  TIFFTAG_XRESOLUTION=72
  TIFFTAG_YRESOLUTION=72
  TIFFTAG_RESOLUTIONUNIT=2 (pixels/inch)

To my eyes, that looks like 72pixels per inch, which is about right
for the scanner it came in from, but wrong for the actual map scale. I
cannot find a way in photoshop to change that, and it definitely
doesn't like scaling to sizes below 1.0