[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.6 Java binding, Windows

Collins, Benjamin collinsb at mitre.org
Mon Feb 23 09:06:52 EST 2009

If one native library (DLL) loads another, the "java.library.path" variable will not be honored, since it's not Java doing the load, but the OS trying to resolve the dependencies for the DLL.  As Daniele suggested, Dependency Walker is a great tool for finding out the relationships between libraries.
To solve this problem in software I write, I often do a "defensive load".  You can call System.loadLibrary() with the secondary library and have Java load it up from the "java.library.path".  Then, when the JNI library is loaded, the library it depends on will already be in memory ready to go.  Using this technique I have never had to place native libraries in the JDK itself.  This method work only on windows, where DLLs are reused in a process by default, and will most likely not work on other platforms.

--
Ben