[gdal-dev] SQL "LEFT JOIN"

Kris R. DeLaney botany at strato.net
Sun Jul 12 19:56:49 EDT 2009

Re:  GDAL 1.6.0, released 2008/11/26

I have be unable to use OGR2OGR to accomplish an SQL LEFT JOIN of a shapefile with the attributes of a master dbf table.  If my syntax is not correct, I hope someone can show me where it is wrong.

The files I am using are all in the same directory.  I have tried countless variation of syntax, but the two which seem correct, but don't work, are:

(1)  ogr2ogr -sql "SELECT test.*, master.DRCLASSDCD FROM test LEFT JOIN master.dbf.MUKEY ON test.MUKEY = master.MUKEY" outshpdir test.shp

(2)  ogr2ogr -sql "SELECT test.*, master.DRCLASSDCD FROM test LEFT JOIN 'x:/JUNK/JOIN/master.dbf'.MUKEY ON test.MUKEY = master.MUKEY" outfiles test.shp

Small test files of actual data being tried are at:  http://botanicalexplorer.com/gdal/test_files.zip