[gdal-dev] how to get group information from HDF file by using GDAL in CSharp

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 23 10:56:57 EDT 2009

2009/3/23 jor sion <jorsion at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I try using GDAl to read/write HDF files.
> Is it possible to access the names of groups in HDF files using GDAL in
> CSharp? How can I show groups like in HDF Explorer?
>
> I can get subdatasets's name and description information using
> GetMetadata("SUBDATASETS"), but I want to know is there any other domains
> like SubDatasets domain that I can access? I can not use gdalinfo in c#.

Jor,

I have reviewed the HDF4 driver code for GDAL and it only uses
three domains.  SUBDATASETS, GEOLOCATION and the default
domain.  So any information that might be available that you want
will be in the default domain.

The GEOLOCATION domain is used for swath data to identify
which are the lat and long bands per an RFC on this topic.