[gdal-dev] GEM 6 sinusoidal projection

Peter J Halls P.Halls at york.ac.uk
Wed May 6 05:53:13 EDT 2009

For detailed information on DGG's see http://cs.sou.edu/~sahrk/dgg/.

There is a paper in the journal Cartography and Geographic Information Science,
'Geodesic Discrete Global Grid Systems' by Kevin Sahr, Denis White and A. Jon
Kimerling, linked from the above web page, which surveys DDG in detail.  In
summary, DDG is a data structure, based on 'regular, multi-resolution partitions
of polyhedra' where 'each region has a single point associated with it'.  It is
analogous to Voronoi cells, but regular, rather than irregular.  'Usually, this
series consists of increasingly finer resolution grids; i.e., the grids in the
series have a monotonically increasing number of cells.' - this seems similar to
using a quad-tree approach.

'Grids based on square partitions are by far the most familiar to users, and
they map efficiently to common data structures and display devices. But such
grids also have limitations. Discrete Global Grid Systems induced by the
latitude–longitude graticule do not have equal-area cell regions, which
complicates statistical analysis on these grids.'  A wide variety of cell forms
have been proposed by various workers but, according to Sahr et al, 'It is
highly unlikely that any single Geodesic DGGS will ever prove optimal for all
applications. Many of the proposed systems include design innovations in
particular areas, though their construction may have involved other, less
desirable design choices.'

I rather doubt GDAL has the functions for this approach, but I may be wrong.

Peter