[gdal-dev] OCI driver and -lco OVERWRITE=yes

Peter J Halls P.Halls at york.ac.uk
Tue Oct 13 08:59:56 EDT 2009

Jukka,

Rahkonen Jukka wrote:

%< Snip

> The correct work flow with OCI driver, if old table should be
> overwritten, seems to be:
> - drop table "TABLE"
> - delete from USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA where table_name='TABLE'
> - run ogr2ogr

Agreed - indeed, substitute ogr2ogr for any program using the OGR library.  I do
not use ogr2ogr so much as use the ogr library as io for my work in novel
spatial analysis methodology ...

In SQL, one could do a purge and retain the schema - maybe that is what
overwrite is intended to do, but I do not remember seeing any such code in the
oci driver; it would have to rewrite the SDO_GEOM_METADATA entry and there is a
warning somewhere in either the code or the documentation that this is not done.

Whilst on the topic, are you specifying the SRS/SRID?  This is an area that
apparently changed between Oracle 8 & 9 and I have currently given up on this in
OGR because only the SDO_GEOM_METADATA entry seems to get set and not the table
and object entries - I found setting SRS in OGR generated a set of ORA errors
concerning inconsistent SRS settings.  I suspect (but do not know) that OGR's
oci was built around the Oracle 8 requirements: I meant to wade through the code
to try to be sure, but it is currently too low a priority.  I fear this area is
a minefield, as I have on the wall a notice from ESRI concerning a need to
delete and rebuild the spatial index around any SRS/SRID manipulation.

> -Jukka-

Best wishes,

Peter