[gdal-dev] new GDAL driver: how to proceed?

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 16:43:42 EDT 2010

In GDAL code, autoconf is used with configure.in to generate the configure
script. In earlier versions of autoconf, configure.ac was named configure.in,
which is still being used here. I believe it works almost the same. It is

Refer to http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc8_devguide for developer
guidelines. A test script in python is created in the autotest suite for
each driver (http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/autotest). You can
look at the other raster driver test scripts at
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/autotest/gdrivers for a general
idea. Add any tests you think are specific to this format.

Your code will go through a GDAL maintainer. So, don't worry too much about
styling, etc.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:48 AM, Constantin Jucovschi <
c.jucovschi at jacobs-university.de> wrote:

> Hi Chaitanya,
> My question concerns the configure script. I cannot find a
> configure.ac file to specify the libraries which have to be searched
> for in order to be able to compile/use rasdaman driver for GDAL. Does
> that mean I should write code in the configure.in file, which does
> look like it's handwritten? Is there any requirements on code
> style/readability/testing I should know?
> Thanks in advance,
> Constantin

Best regards,
Chaitanya kumar CH.