[gdal-dev] new GDAL driver: how to proceed?

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 16:43:42 EDT 2010

Constantin,

In GDAL code, autoconf is used with configure.in to generate the configure
script. In earlier versions of autoconf, configure.ac was named configure.in,
which is still being used here. I believe it works almost the same. It is
handwritten.

Refer to http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc8_devguide for developer
guidelines. A test script in python is created in the autotest suite for
each driver (http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/autotest). You can
look at the other raster driver test scripts at
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/autotest/gdrivers for a general
idea. Add any tests you think are specific to this format.

Your code will go through a GDAL maintainer. So, don't worry too much about
styling, etc.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:48 AM, Constantin Jucovschi <
c.jucovschi at jacobs-university.de> wrote:

> Hi Chaitanya,
>
> My question concerns the configure script. I cannot find a
> configure.ac file to specify the libraries which have to be searched
> for in order to be able to compile/use rasdaman driver for GDAL. Does
> that mean I should write code in the configure.in file, which does
> look like it's handwritten? Is there any requirements on code
> style/readability/testing I should know?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Constantin

Chaitanya kumar CH.
/tʃaɪθənjə/ /kʊmɑr/