[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr .SHP to .KML conversion problem

Mattias Carlsson powerphysics at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 3 10:58:29 EST 2010

OK, so I got the conversion working, probably a newbie mistake, as the solution was mainly to switch datum, i.e. change the command from

ogr2ogr "KML" LINE.kml LINE.shp

ogr2ogr
-s_srs EPSG:27700 -t_srs WGS84 -f "KML" LINE.kml LINE.shp

However, before realising that, I managed to compile and install gdal 1.7. Using gdal 1.7 did not crash reading the file using the initial command line but gave a warning about coordinates exceeding limits, and from this I eventually realised my error! Thus, I am not sure whether gdal 1.5 would still work using the correct conversion (probably).

The next problem is to display the kml file on a map; there are about 500 polylines ranging from a few to hundreds of points each. Sending this to google maps (by using "My Maps"->"Import") displays the data over several tabs, which is undesirable. Any ideas on how to display all the data simultaneously?

Thanks,

Mattias