[gdal-dev] (article) social organization of the open source R project

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Wed Jan 6 06:52:16 EST 2010

I would everyone advise to read

Frederick P. Brooks: The Mythical Man-Month. Essays on Software Engineering

Brooks was manager of IBM's OS/360, the classical mammoth operating
system of the nineteen-sixties. He wrote this book in 1975 (it is still
in print) about what can go wrong in designing large software systems.
Characteristically, the cover shows a few dinosaurs slowly sinking under
in a morass. He also advises about how software projects *should* be
organised, and it is eery to see how Open Software projects work exactly
along these lines nowadays. Some quotes from the 1995 reprint:

(p. 30) Very good professional programmers are *ten times* as productive
as ordinary ones at the same training and two-year experience level.

(p. 32) Software projects should be organized like a surgical team
rather than a hog-butchering team, that is, instead of each member
cutting away on the problem, one does the cutting and the others give hm
every support that will enhance his effectiveness and productivity. A
small sharp core team is best.

(p. 44) Conceptual integrity is *the* most important consideration in
system design. It dictates that the design must proceed from one mind,
or from a very small number of agreeing resonant minds

(p. 62) The manual is the *external* specification of the product. It
describes and prescribes every detail of what the user sees. As such, it
is the chief product of the architect (software engineer)

(p. 111) Writing decisions down is essential

(p. 169) Make your programs self-documenting

(p. 231) Good cooking takes time; some tasks cannot be hurried without
spoiling the result..

(p. 234) The project manager's best friend is his daily adversary, the
independent product-testing organisation (nowadays the mailing list).

(p. 257) Conceptual integrity is central to product quality. Having  a
system architect is the most important single step toward conceptual
integrity

Last but not least, the book is beautifully written. Everyone who wants
to learn writing good essayistic English should have a long, thoughtful
look at it.

Jan