[gdal-dev] grid from point dataset without interpolation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 27 21:27:12 EST 2010

Matthew,

I am not aware of a utility that reads ascii point data
and directly creates a grid file without any attempt
to interpolate.  You could take a couple approaches.

One is to write a script in a language like Python
that will do the task and write the result out to a
GDAL supported grid format.  This is not particularly
complicated, but it would be hard if you are not
a programmer.

The other is to restructure the data somewhat into
an accepted format, like arc/info ascii grid.  This
format is fairly simple but it assumes a regular
grid of data and you would need to restructure your
data appropriately.  An example small grid is:

ncols        5
nrows        7
xllcorner    440720.000000000000
yllcorner    3751020.000000000000