[gdal-dev] Compilation problems on CentOS 5

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri May 7 14:02:02 EDT 2010

Peter,

XML_StopParser() has been introduced in Expat 1.95.8 and I've verified that
CentOS 5.4 comes with that version. So it should be able to find the symbol
(and for older expat versions, there's a test to avoid using the
XML_StopParser() function). I've also managed to build gdal 1.7.2 with expat
support in a CentOS 5.4 *32* bit VM.

What I suspect is that you're seing a symptom of ticket
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3411 which is specific to CentOS/RHEL 64
bit and was fixed in trunk.

There is probably a confusion between the /usr/lib/libexpat.so (32 bit)
and /usr/lib64/libexpat.so.

You could try editing GDALmake.opt and look for  -L/usr/lib -lexpat in the
line beginning with "LIBS    =". Remove all occurrences of -L/usr/lib in that
line and build again.

Best regards,

Even