[gdal-dev] Re: GDAL drivers written in Python

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Apr 7 07:31:45 EDT 2011

Selon Knut-Frode Dagestad <knutfrodesoppel at hotmail.com>:

> Hi Even,
>
> On 06.04.2011 20:21, Even Rouault wrote:
> > You can certainly write a (non-GDAL) reader in Python, but of course, you
> > won't be able to benefit from the GDAL API with the "dataset" returned by
> your
> > reader, or using them in software that use the GDAL API.
>
> But if I use the GDAL API to create a GDAL Dataset and then insert a
> matrix of data (read with non-GDAL code), and further add some
> georeferencing or tie-points, it seems to me that I then can utilize
> GDAL API functionality for e.g. reprojecting, subsetting and exporting,
> just the same way as if it was read with a GDAL-driver?

Ok, I didn't understand well what you meant before. You could for example create
a MEM dataset ( http://gdal.org/frmt_mem.html ) and feed it with matrix of data
and georeferencing. If your data is too big and cannot fit entirely into RAM,
then you'll have to go with a temporary file, such as geotiff.