[gdal-dev] gdal_translate making NITF-JPEG2000 : memory exhausted?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 2 17:28:54 EST 2011

On 11-02-02 05:20 PM, Jennings Jay wrote:
> I have recently built GDAL including the optional JasPer library for JPEG-2000
> support. Using gdal_translate, I am able to convert smaller GeoTIFFs into NITFs
> with JPEG-2000 this way. The first two attempts (both color uncompressed
> GeoTiff less than 200 MB) worked fine, with lossless compression and reduced in
> size by 67% and 59% respectively.
>
> The problem came when I tried the same command on a bigger (950 MB) GeoTIFF:
> gdal_translate apparently sucked up all available memory (as indicated by
> Physical Memory Free = 0 in Task Manager) then the app crashed.
>
> Are there any workarounds in such a case ? It looks like the “-multi” and “-wm”
> parameters aren’t available in gdal_translate.
>
> PS This is a Windows 7 64-bit machine with 8 GB RAM.

Jay,

This is a limitation of the JasPer based driver which is "whole image in
RAM at once" oriented due to the way the JasPer library is structured.
You could use the Kakadu or ECW based encoder though these have somewhat
involved licensing issues.  In theory we should be able to use the
OpenJPEG jpeg2000 implementation for this but I'm not aware of it having
been tested in the JPEG2000 in NITF case yet, and it may also not support
setting the jpeg2000 creation options to be truely NITF compliant.