[gdal-dev] nmake.local on windows builds

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Feb 11 17:27:10 EST 2011

Folks,

Some time ago Tamas added a mechanism to nmake.opt (the central include
file for windows MSVC nmake based makefiles) so that you could provide
an extra definition file on the commandline.

eg.
  nmake -f makefile.vc EXT_NMAKE_OPT=mynmake.opt

While this is useful, expecially in cases where it is desirable to
have several build configurations out of one tree, I never used it.  I
always just adding "!INCLUDE nmake.osgeo4w" or "!INCLUDE nmake.frank"
at the beginning of nmake.opt and put my definitions in that new file.

With Kirk's recent introduction of a complicated nmake.opt file for the
MrSID driver, I've learned that you can check for the existance of a
file in an nmake !IF EXISTS directive, and I have incorporated use of this
in nmake.opt to pull in "nmake.local" if it exists.

So going forward, I'm hoping the default way of tailoring windows builds
will be to create an nmake.local file overriding definitions from nmake.opt.