[gdal-dev] Licensing Policy for drivers and applications

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Jan 29 18:16:52 EST 2011

Frank,

It looks mostly good to me.

A few remarks :

1) I had a strange feeling when I read that "In the absence of a user or
application level policy, default to a policy of "PREFER_PROPRIETARY"". It
sounds a bit paradoxical for an open source library... I guess that on Linux,
it should be "PREFER_RECIPROCAL" and "PREFER_PROPRIETARY" on Windows. Just
kidding...

2) We don't control the licence of third party libraries and their licencing
terms can thus change over the time or have multiple licencing terms.

a) For example, currently the GDAL EPSILON driver relies on the epsilon
library which is currently GPL. But Alessandro Furieri (Spatialite/Rasterlite
author ) asked to the author of libepsilon if he would agree to relicence it
under LGPL because what makes librasterlite GPL is the epsilon dependency. (
http://groups.google.com/group/spatialite-
users/browse_thread/thread/503faf18b78c3c6e/adbd5b7cef1cb5e8 ). This has been
accepted but no newer release of libepsilon has been yet released. Admitedly
licencing changes don't occur frequently so we can just indicate the ones of
the latest released version of the third party library.

(Note: this doesn't affect the GDAL rasterlite driver that is an independant
implementation that doesn't use librasterlite)

b) For MySQL, it depends on whether you use the open source version (GPL) or
the commercial version.

3) Licences of the drivers :

* In the list of reciprocal drivers, you can add PDF (because of poppler being
GPL)
* I'm not sure for the GPSBabel driver. The driver doesn't technically link to
GPSBabel (GPL) but communicate it with it through fork / exec / pipe. Does it
make the driver to be bound to the GPL ?
* As far as ODBC, PGEO, MSSQLSPATIAL (and GEOMEDIA in trunk), it depends on
the actual ODBC library... On unix, unixODBC is LGPL.
* The OGR SOSI driver should probably be marked as proprietary currently as it
relies on linking with binary objects with unknown licencing terms, even if
apparently the ultimate goal seems to open source them.
* I'm not sure for the ArcSDE Raster. I imagine this should be commercial ?
* I'm a bit confused by http://gdal.org/frmt_msg.html. Seems that it relies on
third party stuff with both proprietary and GPL code.

4) A technical detail, but Python bindings automatically register the drivers
when importing gdal or ogr modules, so it would not be possible to do a
gdal.SetConfigOption('GDAL_LICENSE_POLICY', 'USE_ALL'), but
os.environ['GDAL_LICENSE_POLICY'] = 'USE_ALL' should work

5) I was wondering if it wouldn't be nice to have a *build* option that could
be equivalent to setting GDAL_LICENSE_POLICY = USE_ALL. That would only be
usefull for power users that build their own GDAL for their own purposes and
don't intend distributing it. Obviously neither Linux distributions nor
OSGeo4W should use it, so that makes its use case scarce.

That's all for tonight !

Best regards,

Even