[gdal-dev] Licensing Policy for drivers and applications

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Jan 29 15:44:27 EST 2011

Folks,

I have been thinking about how to adjust OSGeo4W in particular, and GDAL
in general to make it easier to distribute software in a way that complies
with the conflict between GPLed software and proprietary software.

In the case of OSGeo4W the main restrictions is that we should not be
distributing GRASS in such a way that proprietary drivers like the MrSID
driver can be used without the user having knowingly combined them by
themselves.

To that end, I have prepared an RFC which attempts to address this at
the GDAL driver registration level.  I'd appreciate feedback:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc34_license_policy