[gdal-dev] NITF-with-JP2KAK lossless ?

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 12:39:11 EDT 2011

Jay,

You are right. The NITF driver is not passing the creation options on to the
jp2kak driver. The NITF driver uses jp2kak the IC=C8 creation option is set
and both the ECW and Jasper drivers are unavailable.

I think what you asked for can be implemented easily. Please create a new
ticket [1] for this enhancement.

[1]: http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/newticket

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Jay Jennings <Jennings.Jay at geoeye.com>wrote:

>  Hi folks,****
>
> We are using a GDAL trunk snapshot from February 2011 (so 1.9dev ?) on a
> Windows 7 environment.  We have a Kakadu JPEG-2000 license and can
> successfully make NITF files with JPEG-2000 compression.  The compression
> appears to be the default QUALITY=20 because the files are consistently
> reduced in size by 80% with high quality.****
>
> ** **
>
> But is it possible to make **lossless** JP2KAK within NITF ?   Using the
> GeoJP2 driver, we can do lossless using the QUALITY=100 creation option, but
> the same option on the NITF attempt is ignored, resulting in the same
> 80%-reduction-with-high-quality version.  I’m guessing this is due to the
> driver-within-driver issue (JP2KAK within NITF) so the NITF driver doesn’t
> know what to do with the QUALITY=100 request.****
>
> ** **
>
> Is there any ‘gdal_translate’ syntax that will currently achieve the
> NITF-with-JP2KAK-lossless goal ?****
>
> ** **

> *Jay Jennings***
>
> GeoEye, Inc. ****