[gdal-dev] Is it possible for gdal_translate to perserve the external georeferencing information?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 21 12:52:46 EDT 2011

On 11-06-21 01:46 AM, Nuo Tang wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new here. Recently I was trying to compress all the tif (some of them have
> been georeferenced in Arcgis) to jp2. This is the first time that I touch the
> jp2- amazing! It has the similar quality but smaller size ( 1G tiff= 45M jp2).
> However, there are some tif images which i have georeferenced before (but not
> rectified). I used the gdalinfo command but- it seems that gdalinfo (see below)
> cannot retrieve the external georeferencing information (.aux.xml files). So,
> when I gdal_translate these images to jp2- they do not have any valid
> georeferecing information either. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> /C:\bin\release-1600-gdal-1-8-0-mapserver-5-6-6>gdalinfo w:\3512\3512_2a_181.tif
> Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
> Files: w:\3512\3512_2a_181.tif
>         w:\3512\3512_2a_181.aux
>         w:\3512\3512_2A_181.rrd
>         w:\3512\3512_2a_181.tif.aux.xml
> Size is 18808, 18808
> Coordinate System is `'

Nuo,

It is not at all clear to me why gdalinfo would not be using the
georeferencing from the .aux.xml file - it does seem to be scanning it.
Perhaps you could provide the .aux.xml file?

There are some drivers for which built-in georeferencing will mask the
.aux.xml contents and this might be or have been one.