[gdal-dev] GDAL Installation Question

elliott elliott at cpi.com
Fri Nov 4 13:41:05 EDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

I recently rebuilt my gdal-1.8.0 directory to include the HDF4 format.
If I run the gdal-1.8.0/apps/gdalinfo, it recognizes the HDF4 files.
However, if I just run ./gdalinfo it does not recognize the new format.
I noticed that there is a sub directory gdal-1.8.0/apps/.libs that
contains the gdalinfo executable as well.  This gdalinfo executable is a
different size than the one in the gdal-1.8.0/apps directory and it does
not recognize the new format either.  It appears that the install is
done using the executables in the ./libs directory and that is why the
./gdalinfo does not work.

Why are there two directories with the same executables and why are they
different even though they were both rebuilt at the same time?
Also, is there a way to tell python scripts where to look for the
bindings?  The PYHTONPATH environment variable does not seem to work.  I
am trying to run a PostGIS python script and it is not recognizing the
new HDF4 format probably because of the above.

Thanks!