[gdal-dev] Layer operations, a proposal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 17 19:32:08 EDT 2012

Ari,

I think this would be an interesting addition.   Would you be willing
to write up an RFC?

I think the layer creation step should be a different call than the
feature processing step to maximize the chance that folks who need to
do something very format specific at layer creation can do so and
still use the generic algorithm for processing the features.

Your operations appear to be focused on spatial relationships, but
I've also heard a lot of interest in feature joins on attribute
fields.  One case is just merging features from a layer with a common
attribute value.  Another case would be some sort of attribute based
join between layers.  Hopefully we can use a reasonably similar
approach for a variety of operations.

I'm curious how you plan to handle the spatial relationships
efficiently?  An in memory spatial index?  I'd like have the API
overly constrain how we implement this as I can imagine the internal
operation implementation evolving over time, and perhaps taking
different strategies for different styles of input data.  For instance
an in-memory spatial index might not make much sense for large numbers
of very simple point features while it would be good for heavy polygon
features.

Best regards,
Frank